Semi Swedish Meatballs Recipe
Last week, I told you that I am NOT a cook but I can follow a recipe and I made, quite successfully if you ask me, Chicken Alfredo.This week, I thought I’d try something a little more challenging. I’ve never made meatballs because I’m not a big fan. I prefer a big ol’ steak.
|Semi Swedish Meatballs|
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork (can sub more ground beef if you want)
- 1/3 onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 slices bread, shredded into breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 9 tbsp brown gravy mix
- 3 cups water
- Place ground meat, onion, egg, bread, salt and pepper into a large bowl.
- Add milk and mix thoroughly.
- Form into balls and place into a large pan.
- Brown the meatballs on all sides until fully cooked.
- WHILE MEATBALLS ARE COOKING: In a bowl, slowly add water to the gravy mix while stirring to prevent lumps.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, add the gravy mixture to the pan. Simmer 15- 20 minutes or until gravy is the thickness you desire.
If you find the gravy is too salty, add cornstarch mixture (2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water) to the gravy mixture.
You can eat the meatballs alone or serve them over noodles. However, we prefer to serve it over mashed potatoes and serve corn (on or off the cob) along side it. A salad would also be a great side for this dish.
I think this would also be simple to turn into a freezer meal. Cook and freeze just the meatballs. When you want to make the meal, take the meatballs out and let thaw. Once thawed, warm the meatballs for a minute or so in the microwave and then add the meatballs to the gravy mixture in a large pan. Finish the gravy mixture as described above and heat until the meatballs are fully warm. I haven’t done it but it seems workable. I did make the meatballs one night and stored them in the fridge and finished the meal the next night. You could probably even make a large batch of the recipe and divide and store as well. Then it would simply require heating up in the microwave and serve as desired.